Thursday, May 20, 2010

music: a glimpse of heaven on earth


To anyone who knows me personally, this will not come as a surprise.

I love music.

I believe Hans Christian Andersen said it best: "Where words fail, music speaks."

I could probably write thousands of blog entries in an attempt to describe my love for music. In high school, I was a member of the marching and concert bands. I was the field commander for my junior and senior years of high school. I was (and still am) a mezzo-soprano in the All-West and All-State choirs. I was a part of theater company in my community that did a little musical called Grease. (Four sold-out performances, I was Rizzo.) Now I'm a member of a college marching band and concert band. Music is not simply a hobby for me; it is a passion.

It is so difficult for me to imagine my life without music. This summer, I will be teaching sign language at camp. Learning the song and learning about deaf culture has been eye-opening. I should never take for granted the fact that I am able to hear. However, I think sign language is absolutely beautiful. It just goes to show you what a wonderful Maker we have. We can praise him with our voices and our hands.

I'm always amused when I put my iPod on shuffle. It will pull up anything: from scared harp hymns to the Glee soundtrack to Dave Matthews Band to bluegrass to Lady GaGa to classical choral music to Metallica and back again.

But on this late night of listening to music, there is one song I want to talk about.

Defying Gravity.

I hope all of you have the chance to experience the musical masterpiece that is Wicked. I love musical theatre; I let myself get carried away in the music and lyrics and emotions that pour from musicals. I was raised on Meet Me in St. Louis. I could watch The Phantom of the Opera and RENT like it's my job.

I had the chance to see Wicked on stage last year with my sister. The last song of the first act, Defying Gravity, was one of the most powerful things I've ever seen. I had chill bumps from the top of my head to the tips of my toes, and I was crying. Is it sad? Not really. It's just that moving.

The lyrics are enough to bring a tear to your eye.
"...as someone told me lately, everyone deserves a chance to fly, and if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free, for those who'd ground me, take a message back from me...tell them how I am defying gravity...I'm flying high, defying gravity, and soon I'll match them in renown..."


The first time I heard this song was the Original Broadway soundtrack with Idina Menzel singing lead. I have always been a huge fan of Idina Menzel, but her singing Defying Gravity is enough to make me a little bit obsessed with her voice. Marcie Dodd did the song justice during the stage performance I saw.

I encourage you to let the power of music drench your soul. Get captivated; get lost; drown in the majesty of music. God created it. Can you possibly begin to imagine how amazing heaven will be/sound?

No comments:

Post a Comment