Thursday, June 3, 2010

home

For almost twenty years, I have called the small town outside of Memphis, Tennessee in Fayette County my home: Somerville. Home sweet Somerville. Everytime I see the green welcome sign as I drive home from college, I always breathe a sigh of relief.

Home means sleeping in my room, my gracious mother washing my clothes, coffee and conversations, long walks with my dad, and plenty of welcome home kisses from my sweet little dog.

Home means going to the church where I grew up on Sunday mornings.

Home means, if we can come back on the same weekend, seeing my sister and catching up on our college stories.

Home means my dad's grilled hamburgers and my mom's potato salad.

Home means smelling sweet honeysuckle and the wild roses that grow on the sides of my road.

Somerville fits the mold of a small southern town where "everybody knows everybody". There is a quaint square, a cross on the watertower, unique and delicious restaurants, and a theater that holds many memories for me.

Home is one of the foundations of my life. It is a part of me. The school I went to, the people I know, the experiences that I've had...they all took place in Somerville. Home.

But now it is time for me to take those steps away from home. With three more years of college left, I am realizing that I am growing up. The life I knew in Somerville is not the same one I live now. I am forever thankful for the opportunity to grow up somewhere like this, and for the wonderful family that I have been blessed with. I am thankful for the painful losses, the broken friendships, and the tears that were shed--everything that has happened to me has helped me grow and learn to truly live. Without the bad things, what would the good things mean?

I will miss home this summer. But I always take comfort in the fact that home is home. :)

1 comment:

  1. :) I had no idea you had a blog!! I believe I have some catching up to do! This brought tears to my eyes. I miss you and the South. I love you ♥

    ReplyDelete