Wednesday, August 18, 2010

concerning the certificate of debt...

I can't seem to get back into a normal sleep pattern. It's a work in progress, but I would love to fall asleep right now.

Since I am unable to, I will reflect on the fact that my first day of sophomore year of college is in the books. I'm sorry, what? Sophomore? College? I still feel like a 7th grader.

Regardless, I have a really good feeling about this semester. I think I'm going to love my classes, I already love my apartment, I know where everything is, and I have many wonderful friends here.

I got to have coffee with Malley, one of the members of the Centrikid team I was on this year since we both go to MSU. It was wonderful.

The only thing I really have to share is actually a verse that I read today that really grabbed me by the lapel.

Colossians 2:14
"He (Jesus) erased the certificate of debt, with its obligations, that was against us and opposed to us, and has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the cross."

Erased the certificate of debt. Woah.

This summer our camp pastor/wonderful friend of mine had a fantastic example of what it means to be set free from sin. He locked his wrist to a chair, and did not have the key. The image of him dragging the chair across the stage was funny, but at the same time it really provided a powerful illustration. A little while later, our worship leader/another wonderful friend of mine came out with the key that could set him free. In that way, Jesus is the key to set us free from the slavery of sin.

He has set me free AND erased the certificate of debt.

This verse got my gears turning...

my sin, not in part but in whole, is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more! Praise the Lord, it is well with my soul!

Oh, praise the one who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead!

The power of sin is broken, I have been set free. For I have died, and Jesus is alive in me!

How great the love the Father has shown us, that He would call us His own!

-MC

No comments:

Post a Comment