Sunday, May 16, 2010

the untold want

The day I moved into my dorm and began my first year of college miles and miles from home, my mom put a note on my cork board. It says this.

"Mary-

'Sail thou forth to seek and find!'

ye you,

Momma"

Walt Whitman is one of my favorite poets. I have read most of Leaves of Grass and one specific poem has become one of the mottos of my life.

The Untold Want

The untold want by life and land ne're granted
Now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find


I was first introduced to this short poem by the Betty Davis movie "Now Voyager". If you ever have the chance to watch it, you should. It is a masterpiece in my opinion. The story is of a woman who was once a nervous wreck that transformed into a confident, beautiful woman, and she started a new life that she never dreamed of having.

This poem is the inspiration for my blog. I honestly don't know what in the world I'm trying to accomplish with this. But I know that I am on a journey that will shape and mold me into the person I was made to be, and I am blessed beyond what I deserve.

I'm on the path to a career that I will love. I am about to embark on a summer that will change my life forever. I now have the things I need to grow and learn and change; I am no longer confined to the same world I was in for the past 19 years. I am so grateful for that world, and for how it prepared me, but now I'm moving on. I'm growing up, and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment